Friday, November 2, 2007

Change of plans... again!!!

Oh my goodness, it's hard to believe, but just two weeks before my departure my plans have been changed again! I'm still leaving for my training and for Japan at the same time, but my placement has been changed... I'm no longer teaching in Tokyo! I've been reassigned to a school in Urayasu City called Shin-Urayasu (New Urayasu). Urayasu City is only 10-20 minutes outside of downtown Tokyo by train and it's where Tokyo Disneyland is located... even though it's not actually Tokyo. I'm really excited about this switch because I was pretty freaked out about living in such an extremely Metropolitan area, this city is far smaller (more similar in size to Hartford if you're familiar with CT). It was originally a fishing village so it's on the coast and has a sort of Japanese version of Mystic Seaport (sorry to those of you who don't understand the CT references). The old fishing section is split off from the newer section called Shin-Urayasu, which is what my school's named after, and it was only developed/established in 1981 so it's very new and popular with families. This website has some more information about it if you're interested: http://elidun.googlepages.com/urayasu-index

Now I'm just crossing my fingers that there will be no more changes because this placement seems pretty perfect for me and a lot closer to what I had wanted in the first place. I just hope they remember to send my Leila Poster over to the new school because I really really love that poster!

2 comments:

N. said...

Yay! That's great you got placed somewhere you're happier with. And where can I get a Leila poster? I know we all miss you down here!

Anonymous said...

Leila, that sounds awesome! Did I mention that this sounds extremely cool and I'm kind of jealous of your big adventure? I can't wait for it to begin!