Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The wrong kind of walk in

Yesterday was very easy, I only ended up teaching one lesson all day because my other student canceled due to a headache. I also had my Japanese lesson at 4 and a Video Chat at 5, but that still means I only worked about 2 hours all day(3 if you count some paperwork and stuff, but being taught Japanese doesn't qualify as work). Even with such a slow day, something interesting still managed to happen. As I was walking back from my lunch break someone behind me said something to me in English. On the streets I am normally surrounded by people who can't understand what I am saying and who would never dream of trying to communicate with me, so when I heard the English naturally I turned around to see who was speaking to me. Turns out it was a very drunk Japanese work man who knew a very small amount of English, but that did not stop him from talking to me/following me as I walked back to work. He quickly figured out that I was a teacher because A) There are only so many things a white girl in Takashimadaira can do, B) I forgot to take my company name tag off (this is a mistake I will never make again), and C) About 5 seconds after he started following me I was standing outside my school. It was the last part that made things tricky because it was around this time that I realized he didn't intend on leaving. The only way into my school is by elevator and there was no way in hell I was going to get on an elevator alone with the drunkard. I saw an older, professional looking man approach the elevator and tried to get him to go up too, but he wouldn't get on so when the drunk guy turned his head I just ran away for a second and hid in a bank next door. A minute later I came out and peeked around the corner. Both men where gone so I took the elevator up to work, but upon entering the school I discovered Drunky McDrunkerson had made his way up and was talking to my co-worker. I felt bad about leaving my co-worker to deal with him alone, but we both knew he'd never leave if I stayed out there so I went and shut myself in my classroom. Even with me gone it took my co-worker about 10 minutes to get the guy out of the school. A few minutes later the older man who I tried to force onto the elevator showed up, he told my co-worker that he saw me down by the street... apparently I'm good for business, 2 walk ins in 20 minutes... I'm just glad one of them walked out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drunky McDrunkerson hah hah hah hah hah hah hah...you are sooooooo funny! I'm sooooo glad you figured out a way to get rid of him!

Anonymous said...

It's quite the odd coincidence that you and your sister, though on different continents, have both had to dodge creepy guys this week. Yeesh!!

I was also quite enamored by the name of McDrunkerson-san. After a quick google search I realized the name is quite widespread and used as both a noun and an adjective. (Take notes, there may be a pop quiz tomorrow.):P