Saturday, August 30, 2008

I just wanna dance!

I had a great night out last night / this morning. It was a friend's birthday so a big group of us met up by Hachiko (the dog statue) in Shibuya to go to a bar and then go clubbing. I was really looking forward to the club because I love dancing and I hadn't been to one in a while, not since that dreadful night with James and his girlfriend at that shit hole GasPanic... god I hate that place! Thankfully, this night was WAYYYY better. When the evening first started off I felt a little uncomfortable because I really didn't know many of the people I was going out with and those I did know I had only met briefly at other events, even the birthday boy I'm not really close friends with. It turned out fine though because I just started chatting with the people I didn't know and they were all really cool, I also talked to a bunch of random people at the bar we went to, so that was fun. I had a few people talk to me because of my tattoo, it's funny the amount of attention it attracts here, at one point I turned around because a cute guy from New Zealand was literally poking me in the back because he wanted to know what it meant (it's a Chai - the word for life in Hebrew... having it is kind of sacrilegious, but I don't care).

Later on my closer friends who I actually do know showed up, so I was really happy to see them. One of them had just flown in from visiting her family back home in Washington state so she was incredibly jet lagged! After everyone had arrived we left the bar and headed to Pure, a club that I particularly like because the cover charge is 1,000 yen less for women and it's "nomihodai" - all you can drink! I had a great time dancing, I danced for a while with a guy who works as a body guard for Japanese diplomats, etc. so that was sort of cool and I appreciated the fact that he was willing to actually dance with me rather than just try to grope me the entire time. Later I unknowingly started to dance with a creepy groper and I was actually really impressed because one of the security guards just saw the look on my face and immediately asked me if I was okay. I said I was and then I just pushed the guy off of me, that felt good! We danced all night and into the morning until they stopped the music and turned on the lights, then a bunch of us went to complete the sacred post-clubbing ritual, eating breakfast at McDonald's. When we reached the steps up to McDonald's there was a tiny old woman shuffling about and speaking to us in Japanese. None of us knew what she was saying and she was clearly a little out of touch with reality, so when she addressed me directly I just said in Japanese "I'm sorry, I don't understand" she looked at me and started to pass by but then all of a sudden she hit me on my back! It didn't hurt because she was so small, but I was pretty shocked since it's not like I have random Japanese women slapping me all the time. We decided she hit me because a) she didn't like my low cut clubbing shirt, b) she was insane, or c) all of the above. After McDonald's I went home and collapsed into bed and didn't wake up until my stupid doorbell / visual security system randomly started going off for no reason, I'm still tired, I think that I might actually go back to sleep for a while now... we'll see.

No comments: