Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I GOT A PART!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found out yesterday that I was cast in the play that I auditioned for! YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!! I'm totally psyched even though rehearsals don't actually start until April. I got the part that I auditioned with, it's not a lead role, but it has a pretty good number of lines, 50 or so I think. The name of the play is Ring Round the Moon and I play a character named Capulat. From what I can tell after an extensive google search of both the play and my character's name, I play a middle aged spinster who attends to Madam Desmormotes, an old woman in a wheel chair. Based on what I've read in the reviews, Madam D and I tend to have some rather comedic dialogue, so that's sort of fun. Here are a couple of excerpts from reviews that mention my character:

"McCarthy, as the play's resident Lady Bracknell archetype, and Varma, as her foil - the simpering, starry-eyed Capulat - make a great pairing as well. McCarthy has a delivery that is spot-on in every regard and, even when confined to a wheelchair she has an imposing presence on stage that serves to eclipse the bemused Capulat (right up to the point near the end where Varma let's Capulat's sense of whimsy light up the whole stage)."
- M/C Reviews

"There are also some priceless interchanges between Madame Desmermortes and Capulat at the top of the second act (as when the romantic spinster's reminiscence of being twenty and claim to a still beating heart is greeted with a dismissive "You're a nice girl, Capulat, but -- you know-- this as well as I do -- you're plain and no one who is plain can ever have been twenty.")"
- A Curtain Up, Berkshires Review

The play is being put on by the Yokohama Theater Group. Yokohama, by the way, is not in Tokyo, it's actually a city next to Tokyo so I'll have to make a bit of a commute for rehearsals. Right now it doesn't matter though, I'm just so excited to have something interesting to get involved with, and to have the chance to meet new people while doing something I love. Teaching is okay, but I definitely don't love doing it because to be honest it's kind of monotonous. Acting I love and I haven't done it in a long time so that just adds to the excitement. Well, time for bed since I have to teach 7 lessons tomorrow (OY!) but only 2 days left after that! Yay for optimism! Oh, and one more fun fact, there's a Jew in the play! A Jewish character that is, his name is
Messerschmann and he's a millionare. Yay Jews!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I hope you don't have to speak in Japanese!