Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Short and sweet

I know I mentioned it once before, but I would now like to pledge my undying love for the 100 yen shop. The place seriously rocks my world and is possibly one of my favorite things about Japan. Any time I need anything, it's there. The name of the store near me is quite appropriately named Can-do, and yes they can! What can they do? They can provide me with a spatula, salt, chopsticks, a cute scarf, and a soap dish for the equivalent of $5. They can also provide me with endless amusement, primarily through the genius pictures and sayings displayed on their postcards. I did not discover them until today, but oh my goodness, the postcards alone make the entire store worthwhile. To get an idea of how incredible they are you will need to use your imagination. First, imagine a picture of a hamster or a piglet or maybe a smiling cake, next think of a cute phrase like "You're a great friend. I love you a lot," and finally take out two or three words from the previous phrase, e.g. " You're a friend. I love you lot." That is basically what every single one of the 20 to 30 postcards is like... I can't wait to send them to people!

I would also just like to mention that tonight is truly a monumental occasion, because for the first time since I've been in this country I cooked! EGGS! I know how exciting this must be for all of you, but really, it's kind of a big deal to me. Cooking in my own apartment makes it feel... real and more like home and even though I don't think I could ever really consider this place "home" it does make it feel a few steps closer to the real thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha I better get one those effing postcards!!! LOL :D

Anonymous said...

I better get one too!

Anonymous said...

Loved our visit (this morning for us and I guess close to midnight for you).

Saw pictures on your wall -
nice arrangement.

Your 100 yen store sounds like great fun. Great descriptions about
everything.

Love you -GJ & GB